Independent Educational Evaluations

When is an independent educational evaluation needed?

If your school has done an individual evaluation of your child and you disagree with the results of that evaluation, you can ask your school district to pay for an independent educational evaluation (IEE). An IEE is an evaluation done by a person who does not work for the school system.
You can rest assured that Dr. Cristi is a well-qualified expert to perform your IEE as she has performed thousands of diagnostic evaluations with children. Dr. Cristi prepares comprehensive reports that have successfully established and expanded students’ Individualized Education Plans (IEPs). She has helped schools and families work together to make decisions about students’ classroom placement, classroom accommodations, academic interventions/instruction, therapies and behavioral plans. She has provided expert witness testimony during court hearings with families and the school district.

Do you believe that the school’s evaluation of your child is:

  • Not Complete?
  • Not Correct?
  • Not Fair?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may ask for an IEE.

Here is a checklist of things to do before asking for an IEE:

  • Be able to explain why you think the school’s evaluation is not correct, not complete, or not fair
  • Ask people at the school to talk with you about their evaluation (they may be able to clear up your concerns)
  • Ask the school to do another evaluation or to add to the evaluation that has already been done
  • Talk with the ESE administrator in your local school district office

If you decide to ask the district to pay for an IEE, you should do the following:

  • Call the ESE administrator and let them know about your decision
  • Ask for the IEE in writing. Some school districts have a form you can use
  • Inform the school district that you would like Dr. Cristi to perform the IEE for your child

What to know before you get started.

An IEE may cost a lot of money. It is very important that you know who will pay for the IEE before it is actually done. If you and the school district cannot agree on who will pay for the IEE, mediation or a due process hearing may be needed.
  • The school district will pay for the IEE if the district agrees to do so or if an administrative law judge orders the district to pay as the result of a due process hearing. The school district staff will let you know if they refuse to pay for the IEE. If they refuse, they must request a due process hearing to prove that their evaluation is appropriate.
  • You may pay for the IEE if you choose to or if an administrative law judge decides, as the result of a due process hearing, that the school district’s evaluation is complete, correct, and fair.
*If you pay for the IEE and give the report to the school, it will become part of your child’s record.
Information provided on this page is adapted from the 2012 publication “A Parent’s Introduction to Exceptional Student Education In Florida”, which is produced through the Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services (BEESS), Division of Public Schools, Florida Department of Education, and is available online at
Scroll to Top